With enough time and the right therapy program, teens can learn to cope with past trauma. Their psychological and emotional health relies on getting the right kind of help. Teenagers, especially girls, have a hard time trying to deal with the history of abuse or trauma. They need a program, such as ours, to help them heal from the trauma of the past and move on with their mental and physical health intact.
When do Teens Need Help?
Asking for help isn’t easy for teens in these situations. They may try to cope with their issues themselves; a small percentage may even succeed, but it is likely that without the proper tools to move one from their traumatic experiences, they will not be able to act according to social norms and live a normal life. It is up to the parents of these teens to provide the help that they need. You can look for these signs to learn whether your child requires a therapy program to deal with their issues or not:
- The teen may be having problems participation in everyday activities at home or at school. Even normal tasks like homework or gardening will be difficult for them to finish.
- The most common symptoms of past abuse or trauma can be depression/stress and anxiety. The combination of both can be debilitating for anyone, let alone an adolescent.
- The teen will spend a lot of time isolated from others; they will not form normal relationships or friendships with others in their age group.
- Their sleep patterns will be disturbed because of nightmares, leading to various health issues.
- Teens will also avoid any and all places, events, conversations that remind them of their trauma.
- They may have to deal with emotional numbness, which could cause them to cut themselves or act out in ways that are harmful to them.
- Many teens start using addictive drugs and drink alcohol to try and forget the trauma and abuse.
If you discover one or more of these signs in your child, then you should seek the help of a professional therapist immediately. You can also contact us (800.584.4629) and enroll the teen in our unique Wilderness therapy program. We have a team of absolute professionals, who will counsel the teen and provide them with the coping mechanisms that they need to heal from their trauma.